The flowers have done brilliantly this year and the new flower bed has been a huge success. I didn’t have high hopes for the flowers that I planted here simply due to changing it all around and squeezing things in. See the original plan at the beginning of the year was to have one narrow bed by the side of the chicken run, so I planted all my homegrown seedlings in a neat rectangle and let them grow. Then came the decision not to have chickens and I came up with the plan to have a little flower meadow instead. So I lifted up some flowers and rearranged the whole bed, squeezing in some more new plants and some vegetables, oh and an apple tree too!
Miraculously the flowers grew and bloomed and they look so beautiful, I can’t wait until next year when the meadow should be near enough finished and the flowers should be better planned out! There’s hopefully going to be more vegetables mingled in between the flowers as so far this is proving very successful. The four spare sweetcorn plants my Dad gave me have produced a cob each, which isn’t the best I’ll admit, but I am so chuffed! The asparagus also looks healthy and next year there will be rhubarb, peas, and more edible flowers and herbs too.
The flowers placed around the pond have been a lot more wild looking as I was experimenting with a few different varieties from last year. Flowers such as Malope, poppies, wild carrot, chamomile and borage. The borage grew rather big and finished blooming last month so I pulled it out a few weeks back, it’s left a huge gap and made the pond area look a little empty now! The grapevine has grown rapidly though so next year I will have to leave more space for the vine to grow, which means less flowers. You can’t have it all though I guess 🙂