Since owning my allotment I have ended up trying new foods and finding out that I do in fact like vegetables that I had previously turned my nose up at (I used to be extremely fussy!) Cabbage is one of those vegetables that I have fallen in love with and because my Dad was already set on growing white cabbages I decided to grow some red. I only planted one row of red cabbages at the beginning of the year and all 6 of them produced beautiful heads, although some are rather smaller than others. The only dilemma I have is that we are struggling to eat them and they are on the verge of rotting in all this wet weather we are having. It seems that over winter I need to thoroughly plan my allotment out, decide what to grow and be strict with succession planting.
Now because it has been so miserable and wet lately I thought I would try adding my red cabbage to a soup and I’m pleased to say that it was a great success and surprisingly very yummy! This is a very hearty soup, perfect for warming you up after working up the allotment in the cold, and it is also the perfect way to use up all those cabbages too. Enjoy!
Red Cabbage, Sausage and Haricot Bean Soup
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 tin of haricot beans (or a handful of dried borlotti beans which have been soaked!)
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 1lb of potatoes
- 2 leeks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 pork sausages
- 1/2 lb of red cabbage (half of a large head)
- 1/2 a cup of thick double cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and leeks, cooking for 4 minutes and stirring often.
- Fry the sausages until they brown.
- In a bowl combine the corn flour with 1/2 a cup of vegetable stock until the cornflour dissolves. Pour the mixture into the pot containing the leeks and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the remaining vegetable stock, potatoes and the sausages into the pot. Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat, remove the sausages and use a hand blender to mash up the potatoes and leeks. Cut up the sausages and add back to the pot, adding the shredded red cabbage and haricot beans. Cook for 10 minutes then stir in the cream and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve into hot bowls.