I spent Monday afternoon and evening up the allotment frantically trying to tick a few things off of my long to do list, the priorities were to plant out the seedlings that were waiting patiently in the coldframe at home. You see… I was heading off to Wales on Tuesday and won’t be back until Saturday so I wanted to get those huge brassica seedlings out up the allotment, in fact I was in such a rush to get things planted that I decided not to film anything so that I could just simply get it all done quick!
I managed to dig and weed the brassica bed, plant out the red cabbage, flower sprouts, purple sprouting broccoli, sweetcorn, crown prince squash, munchkin pumpkins, more annual flowers, direct sow some more radish and borlotti beans, tie up the sweet peas, dead head the roses, harvest some more broad beans, pick the first bowl of strawberries and erect the brassica cage all in 5 hours… It’s amazing to see how much I can get done when I don’t have to spend ages setting up the camera and microphone!
For this blog post however we’ll concentrate on the brassicas… The first job was to dig and weed the bed where the seedlings were going to be planted, and once again I proved how unfit I was! I even had a little helper taking all the juicy worms and insects that I had just dug up, he was one brave robin and I even managed to get a photograph. After I raked the soil flat I started to plant out the seedlings, one row of ‘Red Drumhead’ red cabbage, one row of Flower Sprouts and two rows of ‘Claret’ purple sprouting broccoli. The plan was to sow some swede in the same bed but I just didn’t have enough room once all the seedlings were planted out, plus I made sure to leave room at one end for the ‘Scarlet’ curly kale which is still growing in the green house.
After all the seedlings were planted it was time net them up, this part was extremely tricky with just one person and it took me ages to secure the netting in the right place! It will all be worth it though as the netting will stop the white butterfly from laying eggs and destroying my crop… fingers crossed it works as well as the previous years that is.
I was so glad to see all the seedlings planted out, in fact I think that’s near enough everything planted out now! Even though I was a little sad that I didn’t have time to film any of it, I was pleased that I got it all done before heading off to Wales. Now I can relax knowing that my allotment is growing happily away and that the frogs are hopefully doing they’re jobs of eating all those slugs!