I must admit I’m a little behind on some of my sowings and I feel a little un-organised at the moment what with squeezing in last minute trips to Wales and busy getting ready for the garden shows… I haven’t planted my potatoes out yet but hope to do them this coming weekend and I desperately want to direct sow some carrots and radish too. Not that it matters if you are running slightly behind! Life gets in the way and seeds can wait a week or so, just try not to panic and do jobs at your own pace to suit both you and your gardens needs.
I thought I’d put together a little list of what I have sown over the past week and what I’ll be sowing over the next couple of days incase you were interested.
- Sunflower – Mongolian Giant.
- Calendula – Touch of Red Buff and Indian Prince.
- Nasturtium – Spitfire.
- Globe Amaranth – QIS Series.
- Chamomile – Bodegold.
- Zinnia – Queen Lime with Blotch.
- Cosmos – Dazzler and Fizzy Rose Picotee.
- Dipsacus Fullonum – Common Teasel.
- Sweetcorn – Mini Pop.
- Squash – Crown Prince and Galeux D’Eysines.
- Pumpkin – Munchkin and Tom Fox.
- Courgette – Costata Romanesco and Shooting Star.
- Red Cabbage – Red Drumhead.
- Purple Sprouting – Early Purple Sprouting.
- Kale – Nero de Toscana.
- Brussel Sprouts – Evesham Special.
- Cauliflower – Autumn Giant.
- Climbing French Bean – Cobra
- Edamame Bean/Soya Bean
- Carrots – Romance
- Radish – Watermelon
- Spring Onions
- Potatoes – Charlotte and Red Duke of York
The weather has been a tad crazy this past couple of weeks, we had a mini heatwave and then the temperatures dropped and the rain came (and kept coming!) It just goes to show you that you shouldn’t be in a rush to get things planted out when you see the sun shining. The last frost date in the south of England is around mid April so I won’t be planting my sweet peas and some of the earlier sown cut flowers out until nearer the end of April. I have a feeling this is going to be a beautiful year though and I just can’t wait! Happy sowing everyone x