It’s been a great few weeks on the allotment and looking back I’m feeling a little bit pleased with myself. Since arriving home from Wales I’ve been feeling overwhelmed with the amount of jobs to do on the allotment before Spring actually decided to arrive, but it just goes to show you want a few days of hard graft can actually do!
The list of jobs is slowly starting to go down and every time I tick one off I feel a little more proud of myself. That’s one of the joys of gardening, you can spend an hour or so digging to stand back and see instant results. It makes you feel good about yourself and also motivates you to keep going and that’s exactly what my allotment is doing right now. Ever since I managed to clear the old brassica bed of rubbish I’ve been on a roll! Taking the rubbish to the tip, digging the bed ready for the potatoes, planting them out, digging the rhubarb bed and my most recent job… starting to get the flower border ready.
Now the vegetables beds are near enough ready (all I need to do is dig the well rotted manure into the legume bed and move the rest of the manure off the brassica bed!) I can start to focus on the flower border. It hasn’t been touched since late Summer and it was looking a proper mess with weeds, grass and dead flower stalks standing tall. The edge of the grass lawn area also needed to be re-established and changed shape a little to account for the rows of annuals which will be growing here in the Summer. The last of the perennial flowers also needed to be moved over to the wildlife area and these included the Allium ‘sphaerocephalon’ and a Geum ‘Flames of Passion’. Out came my garden fork and allotment plan and off I went digging!
Boy was it hard work! The ox-eye daisy that I had planted two years ago self seeded like mad so it took a while digging up all those plants, plus the grassed path around the plot has grown through the wire fence and made it impossible to keep tidy! It took a lot of weeding and digging and the time just flew by, 6.30pm came around and it was time to go home for dinner which meant I never got to complete the whole border. I’ll have to come up during a couple of evenings to finish the digging and to neaten the edge of the lawn area.
I did however, manage to find lots of self seed fox gloves growing around the border so I moved them all into place and ended up saving money by not having to buy them! I also placed a stepping stone in front of the Globe Artichoke, moved the Fennel to the side of the beehive bin, planted the Verbena back into the border and also finally planted out my little Lavender plant. I purchased this from the Hampton Court Flower Show last Summer and it’s called ‘Little Lottie’ which I thought was rather apt. It’s also a pale pink lavender and I can’t wait to see it bloom!
This is one of the areas I’m most looking forward this year and I just can’t wait to see it in full bloom. I’m so excited to see a border of beautiful flowers with bees and butterflies flying happily around and me sitting in the middle with a big mug of tea… Hurry up Summer!