It’s been a long time coming but Saturday was the day that I gave the inside of the shed a little spruce up. Last year I purchased a Cuprinol tester pot called ‘Pure Jasmine’ and painted a small square on the wall. Since then it’s been covered up by my Land Girls poster but after seeing the same paint pot in a sale earlier on in the year I purchased it with the intent to give the shed a lick of paint. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now but the past year has been a tad crazy, so now the allotment is winding down it’s time to get the paint brushes out!
The first big job was to clear out the shed which actually didn’t take very long! I chose a particularly beautiful sunny day so that the entire contents of my shed could be left outside whilst I was busy painting. I did however, decide to leave the cabinet inside, it’s very heavy so I moved it into the centre of the shed where I could easily work around it. Next on the job was to brush down the walls and evict those spiders… I’m not a huge fan of spiders and hated the fact that a few large ones had taken up residence in my shed. The postman just so happened to deliver a very handy parcel on Friday ready for the busy weekend, a pink spider catcher! This little gadget was amazing and did the job perfectly, although my Dad could hear my screaming from his allotment and came over to help me evict one enormous spider that I was particularly afraid of…
5 hours and 3 coats later the job was complete! Well actually the door rims and the inside of the stable door needs to be painted but this can be done another day… Right now though I am so unbelievably happy with how the interior of the shed looks, it looks so much brighter and somehow looks a lot bigger than before which is an added bonus. It all looks brand new and fresh and I’m making a mental note not to over crowd it with unnecessary things, after all my little shed is only 6×4 foot so space is very limited. The new paint compliments the old 1950’s kitchen cabinet and the vintage floral papered wall perfectly and I just love it so much, the wait was worth it!
I allowed the paint to dry a little before moving everything back into the shed which also gave me the perfect opportunity to tidy it up at the same time. I managed to squeeze the brassica netting into the bottom cupboard of the cabinet which freed up a huge space. Now my chairs can sit back in that place with the pile of paint pots, slate labels and the new spider catcher sat in the corner. In the opposite corner lies the metal cloche hoops, plant supports, an enamel bowl ready for planting up with bulbs and a watering can. All my tools are hanging on the hooks my Dad made me a few years back now and the longer tools sit next to the cabinet which is still full of all the same gardening necessities. All the cooking pots and pans are inside the cabinet too but I’m hoping to find a small vintage wooden shelf to hang above the stove to store all these supplies… You’d be amazed at what a 6×4 foot shed can store inside it!
Next on the shed makeover list is to put the galvanised roofing on and then finally attach the guttering. Again this is something I’ve been meaning to do for ages now but hopefully with some help from my Dad it can finally happen and I am so excited about it! I also need to purchase a new gas bottle and then the allotment kitchen can re-open and I have lots of recipes planned to share with you all in my brand new tidy shed!