Round two of the big tidy up and this time I was focusing on the wildlife pond and the surrounding flower patch. Another area that’s been neglected this past year and the poor frogs have had to fend for themselves, which I’m sure they are quite capable of doing… The pond was completely overgrown and even had grass growing in it, the water forget me not and oxygenating plants had tripled in size and desperately needed cutting back and the pond needed filling up ever so slightly.
I started with the pond, removing the water forget me not and oxygenating plants, cutting them back and then replacing them back into the water (making sure to leave the pile of unwanted foliage by the side of the pond so that any insects/creatures could climb back into the water.) I then filled the pond up and shouted with excitement when I spotted a tiny newt and some small frogs inside the water. After the pond was tidy I set my sights on the surrounding flower patch, weeding and removing dead annuals, securing the grapevine to the supports and moving a few of the flower plants. I watched as some larger frogs jumped back into the water from the safety of the evergreen Carex grass called ‘Morrowii Ice Dance’ and I couldn’t help but smile.