I’ve been dreaming about the allotment whilst in Wales, busy planning and writing a long to do list of all the jobs that needed to be done when I got back. Now I am back it’s just finding the time to get down to the plot to do all these jobs! I did however, treat myself to a few hours off yesterday so I could get going and get some much needed dirt on my hands.
I’ve been getting quite excited about plans to finally put my galvanised sheeting on the roof, the only problem is I’m a bit of a wimp and a perfectionist when it comes to DIY. I desperately want to put the roof on but I’m scared about facing the job all by myself and not doing it right… I did manage to measure the shed roof so the next job will be to cut the galvanised sheets down to size at home and then they just need attaching to the shed. Charles has given me lots of tips so hopefully when the weather improves (i.e stops raining!) my excitement will boost the confidence I need to actually do it!
Meanwhile I thought I best get busy with one of my other jobs which involved clearing the water butt area next to the shed and to weed that patch too, the weeds are hip high and looks like a jungle right now!
The first job was to sort through the pile of old bamboo canes and pieces of wood, I put the good poles to one side and chucked the rest on the rubbish pile (which just so happens to be the brassica bed!) Another job on my list is to empty the brassica bed and take all the rubbish to the tip… but that’s a huge job for another day. I moved the two plastic water butts to one side because I’ll be selling them at a local car boot and prepared the little paving area ready for the new (but old) water tank which is going to sit pride of place next to the shed. Once that had been moved into place onto two old pieces of railway sleeper I headed into the jungle next to it to get weeding…
The job took roughly 2 hours and I finished weeding in the rain, once I start a job it’s hard to leave it unfinished, even if it is raining! I am so unbelievably happy with this little area of the allotment now and it looks so tidy. Three new rhubarb crowns will be planted in front of the row of sunflowers with a comfrey plant in the round galvanised planter and a manure bin/plant fertiliser storage where the old water butts are standing now. I’ll also be sowing some grass seed to make a path and then that area will be done, although not for a while yet but that’s the plan anyway!
The water tank fits perfectly next to the shed and my £1.00 piece of enamel table top sits beautifully on top to act as a little shelf. The tank is completely water tight so I won’t be putting a tap in it but instead dipping the watering can into the tank to fill it with water. I’ll be putting a ramp inside it once it starts to fill just in case any animals fall into it and I’m tempted to fit a shelf along that side of the shed to store all my pots and trays. I might even display some old sieves on the side or add a bug hotel or two. Once the galvanised roofing is on I’ll be attaching some guttering to both sides of the shed with a down pipe into the tank… I can’t express how excited I am about all this, my heart is beating so fast as I explain it all to you! I just love the way it looks right now and hopefully it’s only going to look better once it’s all complete.
Before I left for home a little bit drenched I wanted to show you all the newly named squash trough. It’s thriving so wonderfully this year and I can’t believe it’s producing so many squashes, all the sunshine and rain must have done wonders for it and I can’t thank my Dad enough for watering it whilst I’ve been away. It’s the first year it’s grown more than 6 inches long and now I’m finding myself cutting pieces off to stop it taking over the place! I counted roughly 8 fully large squashes in the trough with a few more smaller ones growing and this makes my heart so happy.
The gherkin at the end is also growing although it is being slightly smothered by the ever growing squash! I noticed a few smaller gherkins growing as well as one that’s ready to pick, my first gherkin harvest for 2 years and one I’m going to cherish.
Another surprise was waiting for me as I approached my allotment, two happy yellow sunflowers were staring back at me, the first ones to bloom this year. The variety is Mongolian Giant and although the row at the back are about 5 foot tall I kind of wish they were taller… Not to worry though, they brought a little bit of sunshine to my plot and I couldn’t be happier!
Have a lovely weekend everyone x